[tor-reports] Kelley's September and October
kelley at torproject.org
Fri Nov 1 16:00:15 UTC 2013
Here are highlights from the world of Tor marketing, communications and
outreach for September and October:
1. Proposals In Process and Follow-Up:
1. RFA Proposal - accepted.
2. Journalist Training / Education - Knight Foundation - still being
considered by Knight. Follow up conversations are ongoing.
3. Communications Proposal - Ford Foundation - accepted and work has
begun with Spitfire Strategies
2. Knight Foundation -
1. Continued follow up on additional funding and new ideas.
2. Attended ONA and presented a lighting talk on Tor and meeting with
Knight Foundation people about next steps.
3. Ongoing relationship building and outreach.
4. Working with Knight on a possible hands-on workshop for SXSW
5. Following up on networking opportunities with other Knight
partners - these are based on introductions from Knight.
3. **“Upcoming Tor Events” on the blog - continued to be updated as I
see things come over tor-internal.
4. Continued fielding and responding to media request through execdir -
requests are being captured in a tracking database.
5. Joint Task Force on Virtual Economies - participating on a 3 month
joint task force sponsored by ICMEC and Thomas Reuters. Participating
on two working groups - Human Rights and Law Enforcement.
6. 2013 Annual Report - engaged our designed from last year, I have a
quote to begin work which I need to float by Andrew for approval. Content
gathering has started.
7. Tor Website Project - offered to take the lead, met with a volunteer
who is also willing to donate some time to helping this project.
8. CRM Project - importing contacts and cleaning up input fields
9. Tor Store Vendor - decided to stay with Printfection. As mentioned at
the dev meeting I've found a new vendor - I'm still not 100% convinced
so I've reached out to EFF to find out who their vendor is.
10. Tor Stuff in the World - sent to several people on the team Tor
shirts, stickers and webcam clings. This process will become much
less laborious when our fulfillment vendor is in place.
11. EFF Relay Challenge - had a few calls with Eva and Colin C.
regarding this event. Offered help, Tor swag, etc.
12. 2014 Dev Meetings -
1. Winter - waiting for dates from Knight, I’m constantly in contact
with them on this. If there is no response within the next week
I will be
working on a Plan B solution just in case.
2. Summer - sent a proposal to Mozilla (Paris) to sponsor us -
initially they were very excited and agreeable - follow up
continues and I
will let you know once this is confirmed
3. Travel Sponsors - beginning thinking/planning of who I can reach
out to help offset our travel costs for the dev meetings.
13. Tor Sticker Solutions with Unixstickers - I’ve been working with
Andrea at unixstickers.com about them producing our stickers and
managing the fulfillment.
14. Journalist Training in Helsinki - conducted a 2 hour training
session in Helsinki along with a radio interview.
15. Moved into our new offices - still need desks but we have a frig! :)
Focus for November...
1. EFF Relay Challenge - following up with EFF
2. Proposals Follow Up:
1. Knight Foundation Request to “Add” to current proposal
2. Ford Foundation / Spitfire - Communications Training
3. Knight Foundation - Winter Dev Meeting
3. Tor Swag - get the team going to Ecuador set up with lots of Tor
4. Proposal Pipeline - top for the next 60 days
5. Solidify Dates and Locations for 2014 Dev Meetings
6. Kick off Tor Website (UPDATE) Project
7. Complete Tor Store Updates
8. Complete Timeline for 2013 Annual Report
9. Conduct Open House Events
10. Participate in Joint Task Force Meetings
1. Updating Tor Event on Blog
2. CMR Building
3. Press Requests Tracking
Things I hope to get to before the end of the year:
1. Tor Brochures
2. Tor "Press Kit"
3. Contribute to Tor in the News
4. Get a desk in the office ;)
On a personal note the Fall semester is quickly wrapping up (early
December) with several research papers due and lots exciting new learnings.
Anyone interested in what I'm doing on this front, let me know - happy to
Thanks everyone for your continued support -
*Outreach and Communications*
*The Tor Project*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the tor-reports