[tor-reports] Kelley's April 2013

Kelley Misata kelley at torproject.org
Thu May 9 14:24:36 UTC 2013

Here are the highlights from the world of Tor marketing, communications and
outreach over the past month:

   1. CRM Project:
      1. Attended the CivicCRM Conference - gathered information about the
      CIVI community, the CRM tools and short and long term uses for Tor.  EFF
      folks were there and glad to see Tor represented.  Also took the
      opportunity to meet with Tom while in San Francisco.
      2. Selected Giant Rabbit as the CivicCRM vendor to assist with
      installation - conversations are ongoing between Giant Rabbit, Andrew and
      myself to outline the best (secure) plan.
   2. Training:
      1. Continued discussions about journalist training in Israel.
      2. Reached out to the Knight Foundation for additional opportunities
      where journalist gather.
   3. Tor Store Vendor - vetted current and new vendors. Will present the
   front runner on tor-internal under separate email.
   4. Proposals:
      1. White House Tech vs. Trafficking Convening - accepted and Andrew
      ended up attending
      2. Communications Proposal - Ford Foundation - still in draft working
      with Monisha at Spitfire
   5. Knight Foundation - maintained connections and had conversations
   about a journalist brochure, events where journalist gather - working to
   keep us on the radar of the Knight people.
   6. Tor Goodies in the World - sent off Tor stickers, brochures, t-shirts
   to Damien for LinuxFest NW and Johan for Birdie.  Thanks Damien for the
   feedback and suggestions.
   7. “Upcoming Tor Events” now on the blog - (yipee! - thanks Andrew)
   Everyone please continue to keep me in the loop as to where you will be in
   the world as a representative of Tor.
   8. Continued fielding and responding to media request through execdir -
   all requests are being captured in a tracking database.

Focus for May...

   1. CRM:
      1. Begin installation with Giant Rabbit
      2. Continue to collected data - note:  200 names have been already
      gathered from Roger (thanks Roger for the time and insights!)
   2. Proposals:
      1. Submit Knight Foundation Request to “Add” to current proposal.
      2. Follow Ford Foundation Proposal
      3. Continue responding to other proposal requests and/or work with
      Karen as needed.
   3. Planning for Summer Dev Meeting:
      1. Send invites to greater Tor community
      2. Work on Hack Day Events
      3. Work on (possible) Meet and Great Events
   4. Begin Annual Report Mailings:  thanks to the above list from Roger
   (and others soon I hope) I will be sending our 2012 annual report out into
   the world to targeted individuals who we need to reconnect with, as well as
   those, who can help us drive conversations, awareness about what Tor is up
   to and opening (fingers crossed) new opportunities.
   5. Update Short User Manual:  in partnership with Runa - goal is to have
   this finished by 5/15.
   6. Tor "Press Kit":  pull together a Tor press "kit" of information
   materials (hard copy and online versions) which can be used to update
   existing Tor fans about our work and help new (potential partners)
   7. Training:  finalize journalist training in Israel with Karen and
   myself and other meets we can set up to optimize our time there.

Thanks everyone - 2 months and 14 days until Munich!
Kelley

*Kelley Misata*
*Outreach and Communications*
*The Tor Project*