[tor-reports] Tails report for April, 2013

Tails folks tails at boum.org
Sat May 11 14:16:46 UTC 2013

Releases
========

Tails 0.17.2 was released on April 9th.

https://tails.boum.org/news/version_0.17.2/index.en.html

Metrics
=======

- 121 183 connections of Tails to the Tor network. This makes a boot
  every 21 seconds on average (this is an approximation from the
  requests made to the security announcements feed when Tails is
  connected to Tor).

- 71 reports were received through WhisperBack.

- 1515 comments were posted on the forum, with 76 signed by Tails. This
  means there has been much more activity on the forum, and that we are
  having a hard time coping with it, but also that anonymous
  contributors are providing more and more good answers without our
  help.

Code
====

- We had a highly successful "low-hanging fruits" week: at least 16
  tickets were touched, and at least five persons attended one session
  or more.

  https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-April/002834.html

- The persistence feature to remember installed packages (has matured a
  lot) and should be ready for Tails 0.18.

  https://tails.boum.org/todo/remember_installed_packages/

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fremember%5Finstalled%5Fpackages

- Support for Obfs3 bridges (has been added).

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fobfs3

- Torbutton 1.5.x can now be included in Tails. We also reorganized and
  cleaned our iceweasel prefs to look a bit more like the ones from TBB.

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Ftorbutton%2D1%2E5%2Ex

- GNOME accessibility themes were installed to provide high contrast and
  large print themes.

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fgnome%2Daccessibility%2Dthemes

- The "About GNOME" menu entry has been customized to provide
  information about the running version of Tails.

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fabout%5Ftails

- A branch is ready to disable wireless devices other than Wi-Fi,
  Bluetooth, WWAN, and WiMAX by default.

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fset%2Dwireless%2Ddevices%2Dstate

- Some initial work was done to not start the browser automatically
  anymore.

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fdont%5Fautostart%5Ficeweasel

- The audio preview when having the mouse pointer on an audio file in
  Nautilus has been disabled.

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fdisable%5Faudio%5Fpreview

- The support for non-obfsproxy proxy has been fixed.

  https://tails.boum.org/todo/non-obfsproxy_proxy/
  http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads
/bugfix%2Fnon%2Dobfsproxy%5Fproxy

- IPv6 is not disabled anymore. It turns out that the IPv6 leaks we
  wanted to fix actually don't exist.

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fenable%2DIPv6

- GNOME screenshot has been installed.

http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/feature%2Fgnome%2Dscreenshot

Documentation and website
=========================

- "Getting started..." is now the homepage for the Tails documentation
  accessible from the desktop.

- The content of the /bugs section of the website was moved to /todo.

- A bug concerning MD5 Reborned Hasher Hasher has been documented.

https://tails.boum.org/doc/get/verify_the_iso_image_using_other_operating_systems/index.en.html

- The instructions for manual installation on Mac have been brought back
  online and the instructions for Linux and Windows have been improved.

https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/manual_usb_installation/mac/index.en.html

- The introduction of the bug reporting instructions have been improved.

  https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/bug_reporting/index.en.html

Translation
===========

- A solution was proposed to distribute translation workflows in either
  Git or Transifex.

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/

- Tails USB installer: update translations for Arabic, German, Greek,
  Spanish, Farsi, Finnish, Italian, Latvian, Dutch, Polish, and Chinese.

- WhisperBack: update translations for Arabic, German, Greek, Spanish,
  Euskera, Finnish, Italian, Korean, Latvian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese,
  Russian, Swedish, Chinese Spanish, Korean, Polish, and Russian. New
  translations: Swedish.

On-going discussions
====================

- "Debian derivatives & DebConf13", about what we can propose for
  DebConf13

  https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-April/002994.html
  http://debconf13.debconf.org/

- "secure and simple network time (hack)", about tlsdate, a possible
  segmentation fault and its future in Tails

  https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-April/002843.html

- "Discussion on minitube", about replacing minitube with smtube

  https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-April/002877.html

- "GNOME proxy settings, again", about dropping all GNOME proxy settings

  https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-April/002853.html

Infrastructure
==============

- Tails 0.17.2 was the first release assisted with automated tests!
  - Cucumber is used to describe the tests to perform.
  - 82 tests have been written so far

- Huge progress was made on our automatic building infrastructure, based
  on Jenkins.

  https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-April/002902.html

Funding
=======

- The grant application we did with OpenITP (Sponsor Echo) was rejected.
  But our proposal made it to their finalist set.

http://openitp.org/?q=openitp_first_round_of_2013_project_funding_now_open_for_proposals

- We started to work on another grant application for more long-term
  funding with sponsor Foxtrot.

- The list of bounties that are going to be funded through the Tor
  project program is closed. It will be made public soon.

--
Tails folks