[tor-reports] George's status report: February 2013

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Thu Feb 28 23:15:08 UTC 2013

# Top 5 goals from February 2013

- Prepared and tagged pyobfsproxy/pyptlib releases and Lunar started
  working on Debian packages (thanks!):

- Wrote more code for pyobfsproxy. Its obfs2 implementation now has
  shared-secret support (I also found two bugs in C-obfsproxy (#8223,
  #8217) while writing it), and SOCKS argument support is coming soon.

- Wrote some code for #6396. BridgeDB currently gives away many
  obfsbridges that don't work because their operator hasn't forwarded
  their obfsports. I wrote a simple TCP scanner that should weed out
  any unreachable bridges from BridgeDB.

- Wrote some tor code: #5040, #3594, #5018, #6852

- Updated the website with pyobfsproxy information. Unfortunately, I
  haven't pushed the new website yet because we are currently
  considering ditching the "pyobfsproxy" name and going with something
  more human-readable/pronounceable.

# Top 5 goals for March 2013

- A tor-0.2.5.x branch was not created during February, so I hope to
  get #5040 and #4773 merged during March.

- Finish the pyobfsproxy renaming business.

- Get BridgeDB to actually use #6396.

- Write blog post to bridge operators about (py)obfsproxy and
  pluggable transports. I hope that such a blog post will increase
  obfsproxy awareness, resolve the pyobfsproxy/obfsproxy confusion,
  and get some people to setup more obfsbridges.

- Discuss researchy stuff (like #7532, #7167, #8106, obfs4, etc.) with
  people in the dev meeting.