[tor-reports] Training Journalists in Istanbul

Runa A. Sandvik runa at torproject.org
Mon Feb 4 15:12:51 UTC 2013

Hi,

After meeting with SOCA in London [1], I traveled to Istanbul to teach
local and foreign journalists how to use Tor and Tails to keep
themselves, their colleagues, and their sources safe online. I also
met with the team behind Zero Day [2], a documentary about all things
Internet security, to talk about Tor and the work that I do.

I met with foreign journalists on the first day and local journalists
the day after. Around 30 people attended in total, and each training
session lasted just over two hours. My presentation [3] covered
threats, how you can protect your communication, local data, and
external data, as well as how to use the Tor Browser Bundle and Tails.
I gave out USB sticks with the Tor Browser Bundle [4], the short user
manual [5], and the CPJ Journalist Security Guide [6]. PC users were
also given USB sticks with Tails [7].
Presentation

The feedback has been really positive from everyone who attended, and
I have been told that those who were unable to attend have been given
the material I handed out. There are some things that can be improved,
however:

- Tor does not prevent somebody watching your Internet traffic from
learning that you’re using Tor. In some cases, the fact that you are
using Tor and encrypting emails/chat/drives can be a red flag. I am
not sure how to best address this in a presentation, other than just
say that yes, it can be a red flag.

- We talked about a few different risks, such as having your phone
tapped, your email hacked, and your home or hotel room broken into.
Having solid examples and stories helps a lot.

- I introduced a lot of new technology in a short amount of time.
Those who are not familiar with technology such as full disk
encryption, GPG, and OTR, would benefit from a longer and more
hands-on session.

- The presentation included screenshots of encrypted email, encrypted
chat, and the Tor Browser Bundle. Having a few videos that illustrate
how it works, what the user sees, and what the new workflow is will
make it easier to understand.

- The presentation mentioned Bitlocker, FileVault, and TrueCrypt for
full disk encryption, but did not go into details. I told everyone how
to enable FileVault in OS X, and I should add these step-by-step
instructions to the presentation.

- Tor was originally designed, implemented, and deployed as a project
of the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory. We also receive funding via
U.S. government organizations. I covered this briefly in my
presentation, but could have spent a bit more time talking about the
Tor Project, Inc and why we are qualified to talk about Internet
security and online anonymity.

Tails

I asked a few people to try out Tails and let me know if something was
confusing, did not work, or could be improved:

- Tails has very limited support [8] for Apple hardware. 23 out of 30
attendees were Mac users. I tried booting Tails on my MacBook Air, but
OS X was unable to find the USB stick.

- I am used to the Tor Browser and was surprised to see that
check.torproject.org was not the default home page.

- Firefox will start automatically once you are connected to the
Internet. Most users did not wait for the Tails website to load before
entering another URL in the address bar. Users did not question if
they were actually using Tor.

- One user waited for the Tails website to load, saw the green
download button and then asked if he needed to upgrade to a newer
version. I wonder if there is a way to let users know which version
they are currently using.

- A few users seemed confused when Pidgin automatically connected to
IRC. I wonder if it would be better to have that disabled by default,
and instead take users through the process of setting up their own
accounts.

- One user tried the email client, skipped the part where you set up
the mail servers, and tried to write an email. I wonder if there is a
way to improve this, as most users expect the mail client to work just
like the one they are used to in their normal operating system.

- Tails uses a US keyboard layout by default. This can be confusing
for anyone with a different keyboard layout. A few users mentioned
that the tap-touchpad-to-click functionality did not work.

- One user pointed out that there is no logout or shutdown option
available when using Tails in Windows XP mode.

- The shutdown process can look a bit scary for anyone who is not used
to Linux, especially the part where it wipes the memory. A friendly
splash-screen of some sort would be good.

Thanks to my wonderful hosts for providing me with a place to stay,
great food, suggestions on what to see in Istanbul, and for organizing
and hosting the training sessions.

[1]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/meeting-soca-london
[2]: http://zerodaydoc.com/
[3]: http://encrypted.cc/2013-01-28-istanbul.pdf