[tor-reports] Meeting With SOCA in London

Runa A. Sandvik runa at torproject.org
Mon Feb 4 14:26:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

In January I met with the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) [1] in
London, UK. One of the challenges when dealing with online threats
(cybercrime/e-crime) is understanding which leads not to follow. My
goal was to help them understand what Tor is, how it works (both from
a user and a relay operator point of view), and what it can and cannot
do.

I talked about the Tor software ecosystem, including ExoneraTor [2]
(the website that tells you whether a given IP address was a Tor
relay), and mentioned that we list all official projects [3] on our
website. I also mentioned Roger’s trip to the FBI conference [4] in
October 2012, and talked about some of the experiences we have had
teaching US-based law enforcement about Tor.

Overall, I would say the meeting went well. They learned more about
Tor and the projects we are working on, and they are aware that the
protections that prevent us from figuring out what Tor users are doing
- and who they are - is what’s keeping all Tor users safe.

[1]: http://www.soca.gov.uk/
[2]: https://metrics.torproject.org/exonerator.html
[3]: https://www.torproject.org/projects/projects.html.en
[4]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/trip-report-october-fbi-conference