[tor-reports] Nick did things in October

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Dec 2 05:26:07 UTC 2013

My biggest achievements this month were non-coding:

* I wrote proposals 224 and 225 (about next-generation hidden
services) design in collaboration with weasel, george, sysrqb, others.
These are
longer than most other Tor specification documents by a fair bit, at
this point, and they're not done.  (See below for more info.) I
participated in some discussions about hidden service stuff.  Many
rabbit-holes and opportunites for learning here.

* I did some initial code reviews on Torsocks 2.0 for David Goulet

* I discussed IETF RFCs for Tor with a bunch of people.

* I worked with Ben Laurie on an internet-draft for removing
gmt_unix_time from TLS, to be sent out this week (I hope).  (Thanks to
help from Ben Laurie and Adam Langley, gmt_unix_time will be gone in
future versions of OpenSSL and NSS.)

* I make the Ace protocol draft (223) into a proposal.  I guess I need
to find out better if there are more pending 'drafts' that people
really want to be proposals.

* I sent out a summary of proposal statuses. I intend to do another,
monthly. It should take less time each month.

* I gave a lecture for a security class at MIT.

But as we all know, there is a sekrit committee that goes around and
laughs at you if you say you are a cypherpunk but don't actually write
any code. Codingwise, I did:

* Some work getting our coverity checks to be automated and regular,
along with some coverity cleanups.

* I wrote, reviewed, and merged a bunch of patches. The most
significant thing I wrote was for #10169.  NEEDS REVIEW.  The most fun
thing I merged was stack-trace support for Unix.

* I helped a little with getting an 0.2.4 release out.

This month I hope I will:
* Send more useful emails trying to converge on a next-gen hidden
service protocol.  Step one is gathering a list of open issues and
design changes; in parallel, step one-prime is trying to get people to
seriously read the thing I wrote and understand it well enough to give
meaningful feedback.

* See if anything useful for us has come out of some of the crypto
discussions we've been anticipating.

* Write another proposal status email.

* Review a bunch of patches for a bunch of people.

* Get an 0.2.4 release out.

* Get #10169 merged.

* Write some darn code, including finishing up all the improved
curve25519/ed25519/workqueue branches and getting them merged.

peace,
--
Nick