[tor-reports] Runa's status report August 1-31

Runa A. Sandvik runa at torproject.org
Tue Sep 4 20:09:10 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

A lot of the things I did in August were somehow related to projects I
worked on in June and July. I also followed up with a number of people
I met at various conferences during the summer.

I continued to reply to support requests sent to
help at rt.torproject.org. A summary of tickets created, resolved, etc
will be sent out to this list later. I had to set up private bridges
for a few users and guide them through the blocking diagnostics
process [1].

I created a Tor Cloud image that is a blocking diagnostics image by
default (private Tor bridge with info level logging, tcpdump running,
and so on - #6241).

I continued to fix webstats.torproject.org (#6179), including
re-parsing logs for various reasons (#6536, #6578). I believe
everything's finally up and running for metrics.torproject.org-logs,
so we can look at including logs from other hosts next (#6196).

A user reported that the unattended-upgrade process on Tor Cloud
instances would hang on a conffile prompt, so I updated one of the
configuration files to make sure that Tor can upgrade automatically
and keep the old config (#6511). I then updated all 14 Tor Cloud
images (#6510), emailed tor-talk and wrote a blog post.

We had a few problems with mismatching tags in some translated
versions of the short user manual, so I had to fix them manually
(#6449).

I gave a talk about Tor and Internet censorship at the Oxford Internet
Institute summer school [2]. I also prepared a talk for 44Con [3]
(September 7th) about the blocking events we have seen so far in 2012.

I discussed http://europa.eu/ blocking Tor users with a contact at the
European Commission. They're working on it.

I updated translated versions of the short user manual (#6608). They
can all be found on
https://www.torproject.org/docs/short-user-manual.html.en

[1]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/BlockingDiagnostics
[2]: http://www.internet-science.eu/summer-school-2012/presentations