[tor-reports] Moritz in November

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Mon Dec 3 17:51:03 UTC 2012

1. Wrote a small Python script that pulls Onionoo status hourly to track
changes in the "fast exits" set of relays. [1,2] Besides myself, Wau
Holland Stiftung expressed their interest to generate statistics for
nodes they want to help reimburse (fancy graphics for tax authorities).

2. Still working out details with the Wau Holland Stiftung about my
contract and the exit reimbursement.

4. Sent a bunch of emails to "almost fast exits" to make them add ports
554 and 1755 to their exit policy as requested by SponsorJ [3]

5. Collected info on the two known cases of Tor related raids I am aware
of in the last couple of years. Both did not have reassigned IP ranges,
which might be a good pointer. Have info on their lawyers.

6. Started an internal list of lawyers that might be useful in cases of
raids. I have so far contacted all persons that have a PGP key on the
keyservers with the keyword "Anwalt" (German for lawyer). My rationale
is that there is a high probability of them (a) being a lawyer in the
first place and (b) being familiar with scary Internet technology. Of 54
addresses, 12 bounced, and one reply so far (while familiar with Tor,
he's not available for Tor cases). I want to continue this with all
persons that have PGP keys with the keyword "lawyer", and then go ask
tor-relays for more ideas.
The idea is to find a couple of lawyers for cases where you are required
to have a lawyer to get specific information such as IP address and
timestamp. Hopefully, I can find some that would send such inquiries pro
bono.

7. Exchanged a few mails with the Internet guy from German Reports
Without Borders and people from Digitale Gesellschaft e.V. , who both
expressed interest in running exits.

8. I was even more available on IRC for questions, usually the whole day
through (or sometimes nights).

9. General duty of answering support requests that hit Torservers.net.

10. Organized a "Cryptoparty" in Augsburg, Germany, where I gave a talk
on Tor. Around 15 interested participants.

[1]
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2012-November/001725.html
[2] https://github.com/moba/tor-fast-exits-tracker
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/SponsorJ