[tor-relays] Tor non-exit list

mpan tor-1qnuaylp at mpan.pl
Sat Jun 22 00:46:14 UTC 2024

> I agree, maybe this open letter is better aimed at the security vendors
> that include DAN's (non-exit) Tor relays list on a blocklist by default,
> or without warning about potential impact to other legitimate services
> (universities, libraries, shared hosting providers, hobbyist email, etc)
   Security vendors are not the only users of such lists. There is much
more entities and people, that use them without any intermediaries.
Negotiating with every single of them is not only whack-a-moling, but
also inefficient compared to addressing the issue at the source.

   The issue could be approached in other ways too, but I don’t find
them satisfying. It would require things like changing the license,
which is an idea I can’t stand behind. It would also demand more effort
from Dan, which is unacceptable given he’s offering that free of charge,
and likely lead to employing practices I despise.

> Once the malware runs it will phone home over Tor to the .onion, from a
> network perspective this will look like a TCP connection to an entry
> node. I can see many reasons to maintain a list on known entry nodes to
> prevent unauthorized applications or users from connection out of a
> network. Those lists should not be enabled by default to block.
   That’s a good point, but there are things to note.

   Tor entry nodes are publicly known. An organization, that believes
they need such a protection, may obtain the list directly from Tor
Project. This requires additional effort, yes. But it should require
effort. It’s not big, compared to how much it takes to make such a
decision in a responsible manner. And it protects against blindly using
blocklists without thinking.

   This is the same reasoning that was driving Polish internet operator
(TP) to blanket block servers suspected of running IRC. Not merely
connections to IRC, which is questionable on its own, but servers: so
one couldn’t e.g. access websites of many FOSS projects. In my college I
had to sign additional papers to be able to access some Wikipedia
articles. URLs could contain a particular word also found on porn sites,
so the college seen this as a risk of students committing the crime of
exposing other students to inappropriate content. We see mandating
backdoors in encryption, which use the same logic: encryption helps
committing crimes. Finally, something probably most close to any Tor
user’s heart: a requirement to be fully tracked everywhere or otherwise
treated as a second class citizen. Yes, that is also commonly
rationalized by protection against attacks. So it’s worth asking, if
this is acceptable reasoning.