[tor-relays] Tor non-exit list

mpan tor-1qnuaylp at mpan.pl
Thu Jun 20 14:24:44 UTC 2024

> First of all, thank you for your tools and other contributions. The mere
> fact that your DNS blocklists are used by countless vendors should be a
> compliment in itself, and I'd be happy to have that much impact with my
> own projects. (…)
   Operating a non-exit Tor relay I face similar issues. I can’t trace
them back to this particular blocklist, but with high confidence can
tell the challenges we face are from indiscriminately using blacklists.
Some of them do contain Tor non-exit relays. So I can do nothing more
than I support Carsten’s plea.

   Over years no party blocking non-exit relays was able to provide me
with a single example of an actual incident, despite continued claims
it’s a “malicious traffic from *my* address”. After changes on their end
that “malicious traffic” was magically no longer observed.

   I myself can’t conceive any actual attack coming from a non-exit
relay with probability notably higher than from other machines on the
internet. The relay itself isn’t designed to connect to machines other
than Tor relays, so certainly its intended use doesn’t lead to higher
risk. All other factors and attacks should at worst be the same as for
the general population.

Cheers and thanks for providing the lists, mpan.