[tor-relays] Tor is not upgrading via apt from deb.torproject.org

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Thu Feb 15 16:16:05 UTC 2024

On Donnerstag, 15. Februar 2024 13:54:51 CET s7r wrote:

> I have recently found something interesting on my relays. On all relays
> and clients actually.
>
> As always I am using Debian and apt to get Tor from deb.torproject.org
> tor-nightly-main-bullseye main (for example). I also have the keyring
> installed, proper key and everything.
>
> Currently I am on:
>
> Tor version 0.4.9.0-alpha-dev.
Mee too.

I let nightly's upgrade automatically, but not stable.
Therefore I have the following config in
/etc/apt/50unattended-upgrades

Unattended-Upgrade::Origins-Pattern {
// Update TorProject's nightly dev packages: (Suite & Codename: tor-nightly-main-bookworm)
//   apt-cache policy | grep release
"o=TorProject,a=tor-nightly-main-bookworm,n=tor-nightly-main-bookworm";
};

> If I manually check out deb.torproject.org with my browser I see there
> is another package released in February 2024, except it notes as the
> same version 4.9.0-alpha-dev but it has a different timestamp.
>
> $ apt update reports no errors, looks like is working fine, but it
> doesn't notify there's a newer version and does not apply any updates to
> Tor. This happens only to Tor package from nightly, rest of packages
> from debian.org deb are updated as usual.
>
> So, anyone else experienced this?

Damn, you're right:

http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/dists/tor-nightly-main-bullseye/InRelease
Suite: tor-nightly-main-bullseye