[tor-relays] Tor is not upgrading via apt from deb.torproject.org

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Feb 15 12:54:51 UTC 2024

Hello all,

I have recently found something interesting on my relays. On all relays
and clients actually.

As always I am using Debian and apt to get Tor from deb.torproject.org
tor-nightly-main-bullseye main (for example). I also have the keyring
installed, proper key and everything.

Currently I am on:

Tor version 0.4.9.0-alpha-dev.
This build of Tor is covered by the GNU General Public License
(https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html)
Tor is running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.12-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1w,
Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.5, Libzstd 1.4.8 and Glibc 2.31 as libc.
Tor compiled with GCC version 10.2.1

Since October 2023.

If I manually check out deb.torproject.org with my browser I see there
is another package released in February 2024, except it notes as the
same version 4.9.0-alpha-dev but it has a different timestamp.

$ apt update reports no errors, looks like is working fine, but it
doesn't notify there's a newer version and does not apply any updates to
Tor. This happens only to Tor package from nightly, rest of packages
from debian.org deb are updated as usual.

So, anyone else experienced this? Do I need to configure apt in a
different way than we used to do? I maintain this style of setup for Tor
since Debian 7 :-), any changes needed?

Thank you!
-s7r