[tor-relays] Bridge node configurations and where to find them (semi quote)

boldsuck lists at for-privacy.net
Fri Aug 30 19:39:45 UTC 2024

On Freitag, 30. August 2024 14:35:26 CEST Alessandro Greco via tor-relays
wrote:

> I noticed that you have a lot of Bridges active and in this regard I wanted
I have different subnets on the servers and each bridge has a different IP+IPv6.

Until 3 years ago you could get 1 IP for less than 1,- €/month.
I had one for SSH and bridge and others for relays on each server.
Nowadays IP + setup fee is so expensive, it is better to take KVM offers for
1-3$/month.

> to ask you if under the same network I can activate multiple Bridges and if
> the answer is yes: - Is it possible and advisable to start multiple bridges
> on the same machine (perhaps virtualizing the environments) - It is only
> possible to do this through multiple computers

On Debian systems you can easily do this with tor-instance-create:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2024-July/021715.html

In general, it is not a good idea to have multiple bridges under one IP with
different bridge distribution mechanisms.¹
The probability that one will be discovered is higher and then all will be
blocked.

But you can, for example, have several Tor instances on one IP. A public
bridge, a hidden bridge for you and friends and some hidden services.

¹Meskio has committed a fix so that bridges with the same IP get the same
bridge distribution mechanisms. At the last Relay Meetup, this merge was not
yet activated. But it should be now. I can't find the Gitlab issue at the
moment.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!