[tor-relays] Seeking Advice on Running Multiple Tor Relays or A Bridge

boldsuck lists at for-privacy.net
Sat Jul 6 23:06:24 UTC 2024

On Samstag, 6. Juli 2024 20:34:37 CEST Alessandro Greco via tor-relays wrote:

> I have some experience running a Tor relay, and I am now interested in
> setting up another one. I plan to do this using my home internet
> connection, which is an FTTH line with bandwidth up to 2 Gbps. I have read
> that it is possible to run multiple relays on the same node, but I am
> unsure how to configure this.

The most important steps from "man tor-instance-create"

systemctl stop tor <- if already running

tor-instance-create 00
tor-instance-create 01
systemctl enable tor at 00
systemctl enable tor at 01
systemctl mask tor at default
systemctl daemon-reload

Configure torrc in /etc/tor/instances/* and then start individually
or all together:
systemctl start tor

> Additionally, I am curious about what would
> be most beneficial for the Tor network today: a highly resilient bridge or
> multiple relays managed from the same node?

If you set up a relay with residential IP, it would be very good if you set
up a bridge specifically for Turkmenistan first.
Use this torrc-example fron Gus:
https://forum.torproject.org/t/tor-relays-help-turkmens-to-bypass-internet-censorship-run-an-obfs4-bridge/7002/8#torrc-example-6

Mail your bridge line to: frontdesk at torproject.org
Unfortunately, this bridge is usually discovered after a few weeks and then
you can reconfigure it. (Relay or bridge) Please note Gary's post!

If your provider already has a Tor tag in the BGP database like mine, then
most likely the entire AS of Turkmenistan is blocked. :-(
https://bgp.tools/as/8422

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!