[tor-relays] DDOS alerts from my provider

boldsuck lists at for-privacy.net
Tue Aug 20 14:38:36 UTC 2024

On Donnerstag, 8. August 2024 22:20:35 CEST eff_03675549 at posteo.se wrote:
> Hi Rafo,
>
> My apologies for the late reply in your request for the code on banning
> tor exits into *GUARDS or middle-relays*

Before many people copy this, a note:
A relay with exit flag is MOSTLY used for exit traffic but not ONLY.
A Tor-exit can also act as a guard or middle relay in a circuit.

And especially .onion services are broken:
All relays, including exits, can be Introduction & rendevous point, HSDir,
EntryNodes, HSLayer2Nodes and HSLayer3Nodes in Onion Service Circuits.

Blocking relays should only happen in exceptional cases, e.g. DOS or DDoS. And
then only dynamically, e.g. with IP/NFtables for 12-48 hours.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!