[tor-relays] DOS Protection mini RFC

pasture_clubbed242 at simplelogin.com pasture_clubbed242 at simplelogin.com
Sun Aug 11 19:20:44 UTC 2024

Since it is still all fresh in our heads, I wanted to pitch an idea real fast. No idea if it was covered at a tor meeting at some point.

For bridge relay operators, such as those with very low bandwidth, it may be worth it to keep lower-than-consensus-restrictions using the DOS flags here https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en#DoSCircuitCreationEnabled -- but this might be higher maintenance though, as keeping up to date with consensus params may be needed often.

Does it seem worth it or necessary to have a multiplier variable? Like bridges with low bandwidth can set, for example,

DoSConsensusMultiplier 0.75

In order to lower all or select values by 75%, rounding up to the nearest whole number or the configured floor value ( perhaps DoSConsensusMultiplierFloor 2 ...?).