[tor-relays] Reapply exit policy on reload

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Sat Aug 10 21:44:08 UTC 2024

On Samstag, 10. August 2024 00:58:29 CEST George Hartley via tor-relays wrote:
> Then these must be targeted attacks, as I have never encountered something
> like this during 10 years of relay operation under different providers and
> aliases.

Of course, these are targeted attacks and have been extreme since the Ukraine
war.
If a handful of servers of large relay orgs with hundreds of relays are
brought down,
it can affect 20-30% of the total exit traffic.

The attacks pushed the Junipers to their limits and the entire IX was at risk.

In the next few days I can show a live example of targeted hidden service
attacks.
2 hs are currently public in the client software and are being attacked.
2 more will be added tomorrow and I am sure that DDoS will start shortly
after.
You can see this very clearly in PoW metrics on Grafa.

https://db4n0nym3.grafana.net/public-dashboards/
71ad3412bfde44058993dccb07a5e593

> Sorry, but the Tor logs that I am seeing suggest that most DoS gets
> mitigated.

You can't see everything in the Tor logs.
Toralf has developed some tools to better monitor relays.
Specifically ddos-inbound.sh helped me to develop rules.
https://github.com/toralf/torutils

> As far as I know, the concurrent connection (not circuit!) DoS defense is
> relatively new, so give the developers some time.
>
> Also, any default IPTables rule-set should automatically either reject or
> just drop connections above a certain threshold.

That's why we have developed dynamic IP/NFtables rules for the guards.
The whole story began here:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/support/-/issues/40093
For Tor exits, the policy reject is of course more effective.

And from 10-20G you can no longer use conntrack. Linux does not scale.
You can't do much with table inet filter.
I drop the most stubborn IPs with ethtool using NIC hardware filtration.
The rest with nftables dynamic sets in the ingress hook before prerouting.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!