[tor-relays] Configuring key expiration warning messages?

trinity pointard trinity.pointard at gmail.com
Mon May 22 07:55:19 UTC 2023

Hi,

It [looks like `TestingSigningKeySlop`][1] might be what you are
looking for. I'm not entirely sure why it's categorized as a Testing
option, as it seems to do something useful outside of testing, so
maybe don't use it just yet?
There doesn't seem to be a way to print the expiration time from that
warning you get. You can get that time by running `tor -f
/path/to/torrc --key-expiration sign --format iso8601 --quiet` (or
`--format timestamp` if you are into unix timestamps).
In an [hopefully close future][2], it will also be possible to setup
alerting if you have monitoring through Grafana or similar (or by
querying the MetricsPort with a script).

[1]: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/blob/34da50718a4395936736c32e8cc24876d2f7e10c/src/feature/relay/routerkeys.c#L134-172
[2]: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/merge_requests/698

Regards,

trinity-1686a