[tor-relays] AirTor/ATOR continues to pester Tor relay operators, promising donations

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Thu Mar 16 19:25:14 UTC 2023

Dear Tor community,

maybe the notes from the Tor relay operator meetup on March 4 should
have mentioned that a participant called AirTor was kicked from that
BBB conference.

This happened because they were using “Tor” in their name and
continued to make dubious offers like the one below which just arrived
in my NGO's inbox. They did not send it to the e-mail address in the
ContactInfo of our Tor relays but a generic one. In BBB's text chat,
they offered to change their name “if thats best,” but as you can see,
they have not. Instead, the signed as ATOR – but that might be a typo.

I am writing this to let you know that it's best to ignore e-mails
like the one below. In the meetup, Roger made it increasingly clear
that he does not believe that AirTor are acting in good faith.

Cheers,
Christian