[tor-relays] Confusing bridge signs...

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Fri Mar 10 16:15:28 UTC 2023

On Mittwoch, 8. März 2023 18:13:01 CET Keifer Bly wrote:

> Strangely, nothing whatsoever is being written to the notices.log file,
> upon checking it it is completely empty, nothing there.
That can't be, please post:
~# ls -A /var/log/tor

In general, everything is always written to /var/log/syslog & systemd-journald
to /var/log/journal (binaries).
~$ man journalctl

> I wonder why that
Read what _logrotate_ does. Every tor restart creates a new empty log file.

> would happen and how else to tell what's going on? Tor is running as root
Why do you change security-related default settings? Default tor user is:
debian-tor. (On Debian and Ubuntu systems)

> so it's not a permission issue, and I also set up a port forwarding rule
Why? You have a server in the data center. You only need forwarding on a
router! Packet forwarding is also disabled in /etc/sysctl.conf per default.

Your iptables must start like this.
*filter
:INPUT DROP [0:0]
:FORWARD DROP [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport  <Your-Tor-ORPort> -j ACCEPT

No FORWARD, no  OUTPUT rules.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!