[tor-relays] Confusing bridge signs...

Gary C. New garycnew at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 19:50:48 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 11:13:08 AM MST, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:

 Well so here is the current torrc file:
Nickname gbridge
ORPort 8080
SocksPort 0
BridgeRelay 1
PublishServerDescriptor bridge
BridgeDistribution email
ServerTransportPlugin obfs4 exec /usr/bin/obfs4proxy
ServerTransportListenAddr obfs4 0.0.0.0:8081
ExtOrPort auto
Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
ExitPolicy reject *:*
AccountingMax 50 GB
ContactInfo keiferdodderblyyatgmaildoddercom

Strangely, nothing whatsoever is being written to the notices.log file, upon checking it it is completely empty, nothing there. I wonder why that would happen and how else to tell what's going on? Tor is running as root so it's not a permission issue, and I also set up a port forwarding rule for the obfs4 port. Thanks.

--Keifer

Keifer,
Have you tried starting the Tor process manually (without the startup script)?
Example:

/opt/sbin/tor -f /tmp/torrc

Starting Tor manually is a great way of diagnosing torrc startup issues.

Keep at it. You're almost there.

Kind Regards,

Gary—
This Message Originated by the Sun.
iBigBlue 63W Solar Array (~12 Hour Charge)
+ 2 x Charmast 26800mAh Power Banks
= iPhone XS Max 512GB (~2 Weeks Charged)