[tor-relays] 8 relays pers IP address are allowed from now (end of June 2023) on

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Jun 30 06:36:01 UTC 2023

Hi!

You might recall that Tor has been restricting the possible amount of
Tor relays per IP address to 2, mainly for Sybil prevention reasons.[1]
We bumped that limit to 4 earlier this year[2] to make better use of
available resources and considered back then bumping that limit further
to 8 relays per IP address.

I've good news for everyone looking forward to raising that limit
further: after an investigation into the effects of allowing 4 relays
per IP address[3] we think it is overall beneficial for the network and
our users to raise it further to 8.

This change (by having set `AuthDirMaxServersPerAddr 8` on a majority of
them) is in effect since a couple of hours and you can run more than 4
relays per IP address now.

This is not meant to be a permanent change, though, but only a stopgap
solution to work around missing multithreading support in Tor until
relays in Arti will be available and deployed (which is still some years
away from now).

For more details, information and discussion see: tor#40744.[4]

Thanks to everyone who helped making this change happen,
Georg

[1]
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/main/proposals/109-no-sharing-ips.txt
[2]