[tor-relays] 4 relays per IP address are allowed from now (Feb 2023) on

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Feb 2 17:39:01 UTC 2023

Hello everyone!

You might recall that Tor is restricting the possible amount of Tor
relays per IP address to 2, mainly for Sybil prevention reasons.[1]
Given that Tor on the relay side at least is not multithreaded yet (and
will likely not be for the near and medium future) that's wasting a lot
of useful resources as many servers can easily handle more than 2
relays. Additionally, IPv4 addresses are scarce/expensive.

I have good news for you, though. Thanks to a push by our relay operator
community we raised that limit to 4 with the help of the directory
authorities (by having set `AuthDirMaxServersPerAddr 4` on a majority of
them) and, depending on how that experiment goes, consider raising it
even to 8.

Thus from now one should be able to run 4 relays per IP address. We are
looking very much forward to seeing a bunch of additional relays
entering the network and making it stronger. :)

For more details, information and discussion see: tor#40744.[2]

Thanks,
Georg

[1]
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/main/proposals/109-no-sharing-ips.txt