[tor-relays] Help Turkmens to bypass Internet censorship: run an obfs4 bridge!

gus gus at torproject.org
Fri Jul 21 16:07:35 UTC 2023

Hi,

New update: In the last few weeks, internal political conflicts and
other events[1] in Turkmenistan have led to another wave of censorship
on Tor and anti-censorship tools. Tor bridges have been one of the few
free alternatives for people in Turkmenistan to connect with the world
and access the open Internet.

If you have access to an IP range that has never seen the light of day,
a stable residential connection, or access to your university network,
you can help thousands of people connect to the internet in
Turkmenistan.

Tor bridges running on residential connections, on dynamic IPv4 address,
or on unblocked IP ranges are effective, but are regularly discovered
and blocked by censors, thus making us to call for new bridges. These
bridges must run on specific obfs4 ports: 80, 8080, or 443. See below
the example of torrc for your bridge. If it's your first time running a
bridge, please follow our official guide:
<https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/>.

Finding an IP range that is unblocked-in the country is not easy.
However, bridges in universities and IP ranges in US have been of great
help to people in Turkmenistan.
Please note that it's not possible to run IPv6-only bridges and
Turkmenistan has a very small adoption of IPv6.

If you run a bridge to help people in Turkmenistan, send your bridge
line to frontdesk at torproject.org. We will share your bridge with people
that really need it!

A bridge line is composed of:

IP:OBFS4_PORT FINGERPRINT cert=obfs4-certificate iat-mode=0

If you need help to build your bridge line, please check the official
guide: https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/post-install/

## Other Pluggable Transports

- Snowflake has been blocked in the country since 2021:
    - STUN servers are running on blocked IP ranges
    - When we found an available STUN server, it didn't find a proxy to
      match (probably because of the TM's IP range rules). For more
information, see this ticket[2].

- Meek[3] (domain fronting) is one of the few techniques that
  consistently works, but with reduced speed. While there is a dedicated
bridge for TM, its cost is high.

- Conjure[4] was successfully tested, but more development hours are
  still needed for its maintenance and stabilization. Currently it is
only available on Tor Browser Alpha and some other Tor powered apps.

- WebTunnel[5] could potentially work, but like obfs4 bridges, it
  depends on whether the website is hosted on an IP range that is not
blocked in Turkmenistan.

## Research and other resources

If you would like to learn more about censorship in Turkmenistan,
ntc.party is a great resource (posts in Russian):
https://ntc.party/c/internet-censorship-all-around-the-world/turkmenistan/17

And this paper (2023) about measuring Internet censorship in TM:

"Measuring and Evading Turkmenistan's Internet Censorship: A Case Study
in Large-Scale Measurements of a Low-Penetration Country" (Sadia Nourin,
Van Tran, Xi Jiang, Kevin Bock, Nick Feamster, Nguyen Phong Hoang, Dave
Levin) 2023-04-17
https://arxiv.org/abs/2304.04835
https://tmc.np-tokumei.net/

## Tor metrics

You can follow a rough estimate of Tor usage in Turkmenistan here:
- https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-combined.html?start=2023-04-21&end=2023-07-20&country=tm
- https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2023-04-21&end=2023-07-20&country=tm&events=off

## torrc example

BridgeRelay 1
ORPort 127.0.0.1:auto
AssumeReachable 1
ServerTransportPlugin obfs4 exec /usr/bin/obfs4proxy
ServerTransportListenAddr obfs4 0.0.0.0:8080
ExtORPort auto
Nickname helptm
ContactInfo <please-add-your-email-here>
Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
# If you set BridgeDistribution none, please remember to email
# your bridge line to us: frontdesk at torproject.org
BridgeDistribution none

Thank you,
Gus