[tor-relays] EFF's university Tor relay campaign

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Fri Aug 18 08:29:43 UTC 2023

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 11:18:46AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Yes, I do!
>
> Please add to the list:
>
>     Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>
> We have been running two relays since 2017/2018, and enabled two additional
> relays (in the same VM / IP address) recently.

Awesome! I will pass your contact info to Cooper, who will add you to
the internal lists he is tracking.

I missed some relays-running-at-educational-institutions on the first
pass, because we don't have an easy way to look up "which relays are at
universities?" If anybody wants to help work on that, it's
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/metrics/relay-search/-/issues/40022

We also have a handful of known great relay operators, such as the ones
run by ibiblio at UNC and a few in Germany, who didn't answer my mails
yet and I expect that eventually we will add them.

Cooper showed me the beautiful shiny challenge coins that he made to
send to university relay operators. They are a work of art. I believe his
plan is to send them to people once their relay has been up for a year,
i.e. some people qualify already but the people who newly start a relay
to earn the shiny object. :)

--Roger