[tor-relays] EFF's university Tor relay campaign

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at gwolf.org
Thu Aug 10 17:18:46 UTC 2023

Roger Dingledine dijo [Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 03:19:06AM -0400]:
> (...)
> We started the campaign with thirteen institutions that are already
> running relays and/or other public infrastructure pieces:
>
>     Technical University Berlin (Germany)
>     Boston University (US)
>     University of Cambridge (England)
>     Carnegie Melon University (US)
>     University College London (England)
>     Georgetown University (US)
>     Johannes Kepler Universität Linz (Austria)
>     Karlstad University (Sweden)
>     KU Leuven (Belgium)
>     University of Michigan (US)
>     University of Minnesota (US)
>     Massachusetts Institute of Technology (US)
>     University of Waterloo (Canada)
>
> Hopefully this list will make you impressed / excited / jealous and you
> will want to get your university onto it. :)

Yes, I do!

Please add to the list:

    Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

We have been running two relays since 2017/2018, and enabled two additional
relays (in the same VM / IP address) recently.

> Later steps in the campaign will be to understand which universities
> have IT departments that understand and value Tor, and which ones try
> to block you from using Tor on their network or block Tor users from
> reaching their webservers. We are also imagining to do an OONI workshop
> to help people do "how well does Tor work on this network" tests.

Our university is very, very big (>350,000 students), and runs somewhat as a
federations of faculties and research centers, so yo will find friendly and
hostile network administrators (as well as friendly and hostile administrators)
throughout.

Greetings,