[tor-relays] Police request regarding relay

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Wed Apr 12 17:36:12 UTC 2023

On Mittwoch, 12. April 2023 18:28:09 CEST tor-operator at urdn.com.ua wrote:
> Finn <finn at grimpe-holding.de> wrote:
> > The weird thing is, that the relay in question is only a relay and
> > not an exit node since its creation (185.241.208.179)
> > (https://nusenu.github.io/OrNetStats/w/relay/B67C7039B04487854129A66B16F5E
> > E3CFFCBB491.html) - anyone has an idea how this happens? Best regards
>
> We receive this mostly from France and Germany. We figured out that
> they downloaded the Tor Browser then looked at the Tor Circuit widget
> and just collected the addresses they could see there.
>
> This is the same as when Police, Attention Seekers, Cyber White
> Knights, Censors and other scoundrels contact every ISP they see in a
> traceroute.

Without a court order, the cops have no right to request data at all.

Generally also for commercial providers:
The European Court of Justice ruled that German data retention
(Vorratsdatenspeicherung) is incompatible with EU law and therefore
inapplicable.

https://digitalcourage.de/blog/2023/vorratsdatenspeicherung-medienberichte
(only in German)

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!