[tor-relays] Police request regarding relay

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Tue Apr 11 19:07:56 UTC 2023

On Dienstag, 11. April 2023 14:09:15 CEST Finn wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We are hosting multiple relays under our AS 210558 and received an email
> from a local police station in Germany requesting user data, nothing
> unusual.
Nothing unusual? I had a house search because of exits but never a user data
request because of entry nodes.

As a German organization, you must fully comply with Telekommunikation-
Telemedien-Datenschutz-Gesetz §9 (the German telemedia data protection law),
which prohibits to log any personally identifiable data or usage data unless
required for billing purposes. As you do not charge for using your services,
you will never be able to keep any connection data. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tor routers owned by German media services are protected by Telemediengesetz
§8

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ttdsg/__9.html
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/tmg/__8.html

Updated german exit page
https://github.com/chgans/tor-exit-notice

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!