[tor-relays] Considering running a relay on AWS Free tier

Xiaoqi Chen (Danny) chenxiaoqino at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:33:47 UTC 2022

Hi Keifer,

AWS EC2 charges for egress traffic (although ingress is free). For Relays,
you will generally have about the same amount of ingress and egress
traffic. The free tier has 100G/month free. After that, you need to pay for
the "egress to internet" rate, which is "First 10 TB / Month, $0.09 per
GB". You can choose to limit your relay to use only 100G/month, see
"Monthly Outbound Traffic" section at
https://community.torproject.org/relay/relays-requirements/

Please also check out AWS Lightsail, which has free 1-4TB traffic allowance
per server. However, note that Lightsail charges for both ingress and
egress towards this monthly allowance.

I encourage you to check a few other cloud providers for their free tier
monthly traffic allowance. For example, Oracle Cloud has 10TB/month...
--
Yours sincerely, Xiaoqi Chen