[tor-relays] Considering running a relay on AWS Free tier

Keifer Bly keifer.bly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 23:02:06 UTC 2022

Hi,

So I don't know if I will do it, but I am considering setting up a tor
middle relay on AWS free tier. I have been asking their support tem
regarding how much traffic one can push and remain free tier, their
response was:

If your microservice application is using an RDS or Amazon DynamoDB
Accelerator (DAX) database, the Lambda-to-database traffic will be free if
it’s in the same region, including if VPC peering is used.
Traffic to databases in a different region will incur a regional transfer
fee of $0.09 per GB for both the Lambda and database egress traffic.
Ingress traffic is free for both.\"

I am wondering does anyone else run tor middle relays on AWS free tier, and
what is the best torrc configuration to use for keeping the inbound and
outbound traffic in free tier in case I do go fourth with this?

Thanks.
--Keifer