[tor-relays] Does Tor work with Intel QAT acceleration

Jonas Friedli jonasfriedli at danwin1210.de
Tue Jun 7 15:16:34 UTC 2022

Hi,

to saturate most of this bandwidth, you perhaps like to run multiple tor
instances. Because mostly single core tor is cpu bottleneck.
2x tor per single IPv4 allowed for now.

in current c tor we only got minimal TLS options:

# HardwareAccel HardwareAccel 0|1
#     If non-zero, try to use built-in (static) crypto hardware
acceleration when
#     available. Can not be changed while tor is running. (Default: 0)
HardwareAccel   1
# AccelName AccelName __NAME__
#     When using OpenSSL hardware crypto acceleration attempt to load
the dynamic
#     engine of this name. This must be used for any dynamic hardware
engine.
#     Names can be verified with the openssl engine command. Can not be
changed
#     while tor is running.

list em with: openssl engine -vv

# AccelDir AccelDir __DIR__
#     Specify this option if using dynamic hardware acceleration and the
engine
#     implementation library resides somewhere other than the OpenSSL
default.
#     Can not be changed while tor is running.

Good luck with setting up acceleration if even possible in current versions?

Andreas Bollhalder: