[tor-relays] running a bridge

dmz21 dmz21 at protonmail.ch
Sun Jan 2 12:02:12 UTC 2022

On Sunday, January 2nd, 2022 at 11:59, carl box <carl.box at mail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am totaly non technical but have a fixed 24/7 ip and a computer only running my camera system.\i think i can run a bridge but after reading all the blerb am non the wiser.is this somthing i can set up on my security comuter and forget about? Regards Carl

In principle yes, because a tor bridge typically does not use much resources, but:
1. you'll need to have one or two open network ports which allow anyone from the internet to connect to your tor bridge.
2. you'll need to keep that system and the tor bridge up to date with (automatic) security updates.
3. since the tor bridge is somewhat visible and accessible by anyone, you'll might want to regular check the system for "hacks".

I'm not so sure if I would combine private stuff (like camera's) with a public internet service, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

If you need more specific help with setting up a tor bridge[1], you'll need to provide some more information about your system and a more specific question.

[1]: https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/