[tor-relays] torrc, unit files, confusion

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Fri Feb 18 14:24:08 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, February 16, 2022 8:07:21 AM CET Martin Gebhardt wrote:

> I've gotten myself stuck in a situation that I can't get out of. The
> following:
>
> I have a working relay. You can find the config for it in the attachment
> [1].
>
> I want to move parts of the config. So I use %include.
> I don't do anything else than moving parts of the working config to
> other files. There are no changes at all. But, tor does not start
> anymore.In the attachment [2] you can find the config with %include. The
> folder structure is the following:
>
> ├── info.html
> ├── rc.d
> │   ├── contact.rc
> │   ├── family.rc
> │   └── nickname.rc
> ├── torrc
> └── torsocks.conf

Your '/lib/systemd/system/tor at default.service' is default like on all my
Debian systems.

Did you specify the whole path in '%include'? I have:

# Include MyFamily & ContactInfo
%include /etc/tor/torrc.all
# Include Exit Policy
%include /etc/tor/torrc.exit

For me it is like this, the instances from the subfolders use the configs
above.

/etc/tor	(root:root mode=drwxr-xr-x)
├── torrc.all
├── torrc.exit
├── instances
    ├── 00
      ├── torrc
    ├── 01
      ├── torrc

To rule out a bug, change 'rc.d' to 'rcd'. Without dot in folder name.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!