[tor-relays] TorWeather replacement

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri Feb 18 22:46:11 UTC 2022

Thanks for all the feedback and nice ideas.

Unfortunatelly it turns out that the data source I intended to use (onionoo)
is less reliable than expected. To give you an example: When onionoo had a bad day, it only covered 17
instead of the expected 24 consensuses, which makes it unsuitable for an hourly monitoring granularity.

In the past the natural next choice was to use stem for anything that onionoo
wasn't able to do cover but since Damian is no longer maintaining stem (he no longer is at tpo),
things look a bit grim there too. btw: I'm wondering if anyone is going to fork stem and continue maintaining it,
it would be too bad to see stem die slowly over time.

The most likely way forward with the weather replacement is probably to accept and document the
onionoo reliability issues and simply don't claim to provide hourly granularity.
I would still consider it to be useful even when it does not provide hourly granularity,
but feel free to share your opinion if you agree/disagree.

kind regards,
nusenu

--
https://nusenu.github.io