[tor-relays] Metrics falsely showing my relay as offline

Eddie stunnel at attglobal.net
Thu Aug 18 17:44:58 UTC 2022

I have 1 relay (40D13096BBD11AF198CE61DEE4EAECCE5472F2E7) that according
to the metrics is always bouncing between online and offline, sometimes
multiple times per day.  The logs show it running the whole time and
when the metrics also show it running, the uptime continues to increase
correctly.  This hasn't always been the case, as the history shows this
didn't happen prior to around June based on the guard flag usage.  This
relay is hosted at AWS if that makes any difference.

Should I care about this, because the relay is running correctly. It's
just that it never gets the stable (long running) and guard flags any
more because of this yo-yo effect, which I'm sure is affecting how the
relay is allocated circuits.

I do have another relay (E823B5F000835A669E902EBAE5ECCB9A324F46C9) that
sometimes exhibits the same issues, but to a much lesser extent.  Like
it will show offline (maybe) once a month for a very short period and
any flags lost are quickly regained.