[tor-relays] Metrics falsely showing my relay as offline

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Aug 19 07:21:05 UTC 2022

Eddie:
> I have 1 relay (40D13096BBD11AF198CE61DEE4EAECCE5472F2E7) that according
> to the metrics is always bouncing between online and offline, sometimes
> multiple times per day.  The logs show it running the whole time and
> when the metrics also show it running, the uptime continues to increase
> correctly.  This hasn't always been the case, as the history shows this
> didn't happen prior to around June based on the guard flag usage.  This
> relay is hosted at AWS if that makes any difference.

What are you looking at when you say "according to the metrics"? Are you
constantly watching relay-search or is it something else we could look
at to figure out what is going on.

> Should I care about this, because the relay is running correctly. It's
> just that it never gets the stable (long running) and guard flags any
> more because of this yo-yo effect, which I'm sure is affecting how the
> relay is allocated circuits.

Right. I wonder whether some directory authorities have issues reaching
your relay sometimes resulting in the loss of flags you are seeing, but
I have not looked at the votes for your relay since June.

Georg