[tor-relays] Relay MIGHTYWANG consensus issues and loss of STABLE flag

Mighty Wang wang at mighty.wang
Fri Oct 29 16:10:46 UTC 2021

Hello fellow operators

I have one pretty large relay, MIGHTYWANG which is an IP4/6 guard,
dedicated hardware running on a 1Gb line uncontended. It is usually one
of the top 5 relays by consensus weight but on the morning of 14th
October it lost Guard status on account of losing the stable flag.

I checked logs, connectivity and server health - nothing unusual,
everything is generally pretty bullet proof in and around the relay and
it had been running for well over a year without a reboot - just the
very occasional Tor daemon restart following upgrades but no such
activity prior to the 14th.

So next I checked the consensus and I see that around half of the
directory authorities seem to be not assigning the stable flag. See
attached screenshot showing current consensus.

The peering to each of those relays seems OK from what I can see (IP4
and IP6) so any idea what gives?

I've got a MIGHTYWANG sitting here twiddling it's thumbs because have
the directory authorities don't want to use it. Bit of a waste.

I had similar things happen a few years ago with one of my old relays;
again no obvious reason, just seemed to be the a random whim of the
directory authorities.

I've noticed a couple of other long term relays are in a similar
position - is this some time of attack, deliberate action or just Tor
magic?

Wang

--
MIGHTYWANG 9B2BC7EFD661072AFADC533BE8DCF1C19D8C2DCC