[tor-relays] Tor project helping to attempt to cancel Richard Stallman

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 15:58:05 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 3:11 PM Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net> wrote:

> Could be important to note that no harassment allegations were ever aimed
> at
> RMS himself, he's just being attacked for posting a personal opinion about
> unrelated events.

This is untrue, it's even covered in the open letter

https://selamjie.medium.com/remove-richard-stallman-appendix-a-a7e41e784f88

> Long before this incident, Stallman was contributing to an uncomfortable
environment for women at MIT in a very real and visceral way.

> Many, many years ago, women in the AI and CS labs met to deal with the
problematic atmosphere for women in the labs. We met as a group, discussed
the issues, complied examples, presented them to the labs, then wrote a
report. In the early 80’s, it was a pretty big deal but it would seem it
did not have lasting effects.

This isn't a case of him just being attacked for a personal opinion.

Even if it was, at what point do we accept that repeatedly stating that
opinion undermines the work your foundation is supposed to be doing?

> > Ah, I see, feminists and leftists must be triggered right now, but how
> > does this relate to the Tor Project or Mozilla in anyway?
>
> It's always fun to get in a group and pick on someone who is weak and
> cannot
> answer, i.e. the "schoolyard" mentality.

> Sure, it's not the best PR for both but if he's a valuable (code)
> > contributor I'd let it slip - anyone remember the Freedom of speech
> > principle?
>
> He doesn't code as much these days, but he launched Free Software as a
> concept,
> wrote the General Public License and some cornerstone software such as GCC,
> it is thanks to him that we have such operating system as GNU/Linux.
> Here's how it all went: https://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/

It's true, we have a lot to thank RMS for. It doesn't necessarily follow
that he's still the right figurehead, or even an appropriate one.

> --
> With respect,
> Roman

Ben Tasker