[tor-relays] IPv6

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Thu Feb 25 13:15:37 UTC 2021

On 24 Feb (12:02:11), Dr Gerard Bulger wrote:
> Thinking of IPv6:
>
> How far has the team got in implementing IPv6 only OR port facility ?

As of tor 0.4.5.x release, IPv6 is fully supported for tor clients and relays.

> Currently you can only run tor relay of any sort if there is open IPv4 OR
> port to the internet.  This is getting a bit quaint.

That is one piece of it. We still require an IPv4 as in a relay can not run
with *only* an IPv6 at the moment.

One of the property that the network should have (even though it is not always
true) is that every relays should be able to talk to every other relays. And
thus if we have IPv4 only relays that can not talk to IPv6 relays only, we
partition the network and this is no good.

> I am sure I am not alone in having much wasted bandwidth that could be put
> to good Tor use but they are only accessible via IPv6, while they can exit
> of course IPv4 and IPv6
>
> I realise that so far, despite IPv6 being open on my main exit for some
> years, there is still little IPv6 traffic, but that might suddenly change.

As the network migrates to tor >= 0.4.5.x, inter relay communication will
start to ramp up on IPv6.

Cheers!
David

--
E7wflFgKE/E5SRn+WXE1QvJTtRMvCV3b2OGyVzMvXSY=