[tor-relays] Is my relay broken? No stable, hsdir or guard flags

raltullou at posteo.org raltullou at posteo.org
Thu Feb 11 20:20:25 UTC 2021

Am 30.01.2021 05:59 schrieb Scott Bennett:
> Roger Dingledine <arma at torproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> > It is a fallback relay - is it still useful as such?
>>
>> It is still useful yes.
>>
>      Well, at least there is that, thank goodness.  And at least I
> finally
> have a plausible explanation for the authorities' seemingly bizarre
> behavior
> over the past many moons in which they appear to be awarding, then
> withholding,
> then awarding, then withholding various flags, including HSDir, Stable,
> and
> even Fast, at random when my relay has been up and unfiddled with the
> whole time
> from what I have been able to see, and without any apparent rhyme or
> reason.  I
> had given up trying to figure out what the authorities were doing,
> much less why,
> and therefore had stopped giving a dam about it.
>      That situation, in combination with the involvement in the tor
> project of
> very vocal persons lacking apparent comprehension of the basic
> relationships
> between hardware, firmware, supervisory (i.e., privileged) software,
> and
> application software w.r.t. security matters, led me to stop providing
> a relay
> for about a year.  I finally decided to return it to service, but have
> mostly
> stopped reading the overly chatty tor-relays list and any worry over
> additional
> security issues w.r.t. tor.  I take care of my relay the best I know
> how with
> one exception on the authority of Roger Dingledine and leave it at
> that.
> Because I don't like accepting such things on authority, rather than
> proof or at
> least damned good evidence and reason, I mostly stopped caring, which
> is a real
> drag because I once was convinced that tor was a truly good effort to
> provide
> what should have been designed into the Internet in the first place.
> Unfortunately, there appear to be still no viable alternatives
> available.

It's been another week and the flags are all back. I'm not aware of
anything I did
to loose them for a month and I din't do anything to get them back. For
me that
just just means I'll take your advice and start caring less ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Thanks for your help everyone and I hope the underlying problem get
fixed soon.