[tor-relays] Is my relay broken? No stable, hsdir or guard flags

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Sat Feb 13 14:51:06 UTC 2021

raltullou at posteo.org wrote:

> >> It is still useful yes.
> >>
> >      Well, at least there is that, thank goodness.  And at least I
> > finally
> > have a plausible explanation for the authorities' seemingly bizarre
> > behavior
> > over the past many moons in which they appear to be awarding, then
> > withholding,
> > then awarding, then withholding various flags, including HSDir, Stable,
> > and
> > even Fast, at random when my relay has been up and unfiddled with the
> > whole time
> > from what I have been able to see, and without any apparent rhyme or
> > reason.  I
> > had given up trying to figure out what the authorities were doing,
> > much less why,
> > and therefore had stopped giving a dam about it.
> >      That situation, in combination with the involvement in the tor
> > project of
> > very vocal persons lacking apparent comprehension of the basic
> > relationships
> > between hardware, firmware, supervisory (i.e., privileged) software,
> > and
> > application software w.r.t. security matters, led me to stop providing
> > a relay
> > for about a year.  I finally decided to return it to service, but have
> > mostly
> > stopped reading the overly chatty tor-relays list and any worry over
> > additional
> > security issues w.r.t. tor.  I take care of my relay the best I know
> > how with
> > one exception on the authority of Roger Dingledine and leave it at
> > that.
> > Because I don't like accepting such things on authority, rather than
> > proof or at
> > least damned good evidence and reason, I mostly stopped caring, which
> > is a real
> > drag because I once was convinced that tor was a truly good effort to
> > provide
> > what should have been designed into the Internet in the first place.
> > Unfortunately, there appear to be still no viable alternatives
> > available.
> >

> It's been another week and the flags are all back. I'm not aware of
> anything I did
> to loose them for a month and I din't do anything to get them back. For
> me that
> just just means I'll take your advice and start caring less ?\_(?)_/?.
>
> Thanks for your help everyone and I hope the underlying problem get
> fixed soon.

     The following popped up almost an hour and a half ago in my relay's
log file.

Feb 13 07:27:54.947 [notice] The current consensus has no exit nodes. Tor can only build internal paths, such as paths to onion services.

Two milliseconds later it said,

Feb 13 07:27:54.949 [notice] Our directory information is no longer up-to-date enough to build circuits: We need more microdescriptors: we have 0/6708, and can only build 0% of likely paths. (We have 0% of guards bw, 0% of midpoint bw, and 0% of end bw (no exits in consensus, using mid) = 0% of path bw.)
Feb 13 07:27:54.949 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit: We need more microdescriptors: we have 0/6708, and can only build 0% of likely paths. (We have 0% of guards bw, 0% of midpoint bw, and 0% of end bw (no exits in consensus, using mid) = 0% of path bw.)

Is it telling the truth?  Was there really an hour when the consensus
contained no Exit flags in the entire file?

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *