[tor-relays] Did obfs4proxy stopped working for you on Debian Buster or Bullseye?

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sun Aug 29 22:49:51 UTC 2021

Hello,

Did you try running obfs4proxy on Debian Buster or Bullseye and it worked?

For me it stopped working entirely. All it says is:

[warn] Pluggable Transport process terminated with status code 256

Here is what I checked so far:

- I am on Debian Bullseye with all packages up to date

- go lang version is go1.15.9 linux/amd64

- obfs4proxy version is obfs4proxy-0.0.12-dev (compiled from git)

- Tor version is 0.4.7.0-alpha-dev

I have edited /lib/systemd/system/tor at default.service & tor at .service to
NoNewPrivileges=no and also installed libcap2-bin and setcap +ep to
obfs4proxy executable. The libcap2-bin step is because I want to bind to
a lower port, but even if I try to bind to a higher port like 50001 it
will still not work and report the same:

Pluggable Transport process terminated with status code 256.

On another server I did a software upgrade from stretch to buster by apt
dist upgrade and obfs4proxy stopped working as well. I am still digging
here cause there are chances I did some mistakes while upgrading, so I
am just mentioning the Bullseye problem because there are no excuses
there, it should work, it's a clean fresh new install from scratch.

Can someone please have another look to see if the problem is just on my
side or if it's persistent among Bullseye installs, we should update the
wiki bridge howto. Thanks.