[tor-relays] [NYX_NOTICE] Relay unresponsive -- how to troubleshoot?

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Jun 8 22:54:00 UTC 2020

Hi Davin. Unfortunately I can't tell you offhand what's up, but as
Nyx's author I can tell you what that message means.

Nyx constantly communicates with the tor process. At the very minimum
tor emits a bandwidth event each second, which means that Nyx should
constantly hear from the tor process.

Nyx reports that message when it hasn't heard from tor in ten seconds.
This means that the tor process is struggling, usually due to resource
contention (for instance pegged CPU usage). You'll need to use tor's
other logs and check 'top' when tor becomes unresponsive to learn
more.

Cheers! -Damian