[tor-relays] Strange OpenPGP behavior during key import under Debian Buster

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sat Nov 16 12:15:02 UTC 2019

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 20:43:12 +0100
Olaf Grimm <jeep665 at posteo.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I repeatedly try to install Tor under Debian Buster and fail again at
> key import.
> With the last system I found the solution by activating the
> "Experimental repos" under Debian. This time it didn't work and I kept
> looking.
>
> Before repair:
> 2019-11-15 21:18:33 (294 KB/s) -
> ‘A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89.asc’ saved [19665/19665]
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> gpg: Total number processed: 0

You have previously asked about this on 17th of October and have been advised
to use curl as the site suggests, not wget. The issue here is that 'curl'
writes the downloaded file to its STDOUT by default, but wget does not.
So pipe-based usage such as:

  curl ... | gpg ...  <- will work

but

  wget ... | gpg ...  <- will not

For 'wget' to work in the same situation you need to tell it to output the
downloaded file to STDOUT, like curl does. It is done by appending "-O -" to
its arguments. If you use wget, don't forget to do that:

  wget -O - http://URL | gpg ...

--
With respect,
Roman