[tor-relays] Relay Installed, port forwarded, but not responding

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Tue Mar 5 04:35:39 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 04:48:41PM -0600, Doug Roberts wrote:
> I've installed the relay application, forwarded the ports as I normally do,
> but when I go to canyouseeme.org and try port 9001 or 9030, none of them
> show responding. I also don't see my IP in
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fmetrics.torproject.org%2Frs.html%23search%2F45.17.96.148&sa=D&usd=2&usg=AFQjCNGhOPMV5S_WYlOsOCXlAEsBAnU4lw>
> even
> though it's been 6+ hours.

Agreed, it looks like 45.17.96.148:9001 and :9030 are not open.

Do you have the right IP address? Are you sure you set up port
forwarding correctly? Do you have some extra firewall in the way?

I checked on my directory authority, and nothing has published from
that address lately. So your relay has not found itself reachable --
you might find it useful to look in its logs, which should tell you that
it didn't find itself reachable, and who knows, might tell you something
else useful too. :)

Good luck!
--Roger