[tor-relays] Bandwidth limiting at relay or network?

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Thu Jan 17 23:09:53 UTC 2019

I usually do it in torrc, but am experimenting with letting my ISP/host (Verizon FiOS and GTHost.com) traffic shaping do this on unmetered connections.

The reason for this is because I learned about bandwidth accounting as mentioned on an earlier post here:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2018-December/016780.html (https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2018-December/016780.html)

Tor spends resources doing bandwidth accounting if you set RelayBandwidthRate and RelayBandwidthBurst.

So the runoff is: torrc is convenient, but doing it externally can offload the shaping and free the Tor process to do other things (after all, Tor is still singlethreaded) but adds complexity to your OS/network setup.

-Neel

===

https://www.neelc.org/