[tor-relays] Bandwidth limiting at relay or network?

teor teor at riseup.net
Fri Jan 18 01:59:16 UTC 2019

> On 15 Jan 2019, at 13:09, Isaac Grover, Aileron I.T. <igrover at aileronit.com> wrote:
>
> I haven’t ever taken the time to configure bandwidth limits in torrc, always preferring to manage it at the firewall as we have other bandwidth limits set there as well.  However, I’m curious - what do other relay operators prefer?

How does your network handle packets that are over the limit?

Tor delays sending cells that would exceed its bandwidth limits.
This increases in-process latency, but does not require network retransmits.
But it also does not change the relevant TCP bandwidth delay product.

Most networks drop packets that are over their bandwidth limits.
This increases network retransmits, and triggers a bunch of TCP algorithms
that slow down the connection.