[tor-relays] Measuring the Accuracy of Tor Relays' Advertised Bandwidths

Rob Jansen rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Aug 9 13:25:59 UTC 2019

> On Aug 6, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Rob Jansen <rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>
> Over the last 2 days I tested my speedtest on 4 test relays and verified that it does in fact increase relays' advertised bandwidth on Tor metrics.
>
> Today, I started running the speedtest on all relays in the network. So far, I have finished about 100 relays (and counting). I expect that the advertised bandwidths reported by metrics will increase over the next few days.

Update: the measurement finished around 0100 UTC on 2019-08-09. I attempted to measure each relay that appeared in the latest consensus over time. Due to relay churn, this resulted in more measurements than the number of relays in a single consensus.

I attempted 7001 measurements:
- 4867 relays were successfully measured for 20 seconds each.
- 2134 relays timed out while trying to build the 10 speedtest circuits.

The measurement should be reflected in most server descriptors of successfully measured relays within 36 hours, at about 1300 UTC on 2019-08-10.

Peace, love, and positivity,
Rob