[tor-relays] Measuring the Accuracy of Tor Relays' Advertised Bandwidths

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Aug 12 22:18:34 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 9 Aug 2019, at 23:25, Rob Jansen <rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 6, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Rob Jansen <rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>>
>> Over the last 2 days I tested my speedtest on 4 test relays and verified that it does in fact increase relays' advertised bandwidth on Tor metrics.
>>
>> Today, I started running the speedtest on all relays in the network. So far, I have finished about 100 relays (and counting). I expect that the advertised bandwidths reported by metrics will increase over the next few days.
>
> Update: the measurement finished around 0100 UTC on 2019-08-09. I attempted to measure each relay that appeared in the latest consensus over time. Due to relay churn, this resulted in more measurements than the number of relays in a single consensus.
>
> I attempted 7001 measurements:
> - 4867 relays were successfully measured for 20 seconds each.
> - 2134 relays timed out while trying to build the 10 speedtest circuits.
>
> The measurement should be reflected in most server descriptors of successfully measured relays within 36 hours, at about 1300 UTC on 2019-08-10.

It looks like the measurement has increased advertised bandwidths:

Middle: 69%
Exit: 72%
Guard: 53%
Exit and Guard: 28%

https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth-flags.html

The growth is mainly in the top 10% of relays:

https://metrics.torproject.org/advbwdist-perc.html?start=2019-05-14&end=2019-08-12&p=100&p=95&p=90&p=75&p=50&p=25

The IPv6 stats are similar:

Guards with IPv6 ORPort:  47%
Exits with IPv6 ORPort: 42%
Exits with IPv6Exit: 39%

https://metrics.torproject.org/advbw-ipv6.html

We don't have stats for consumed bandwidth yet, they should arrive
in the next 3-5 days.